Cheap Overland Table - DIY - $35 Jeep shelf - fits GX460 or GX470 with small mods!


I was going to build a tailgate table until I saw a 24x12 Jeep table for only $35 on ebay. 


 Well, it was certainly worth a try at that price as the wood and hardware would certainly be more. I could modify it a bit and gain the ability to strap molle bags onto it to store important items. Part of my trunk redo is to make organized storage for little things I like to keep in the back, tools or supplies, first aid etc.

I could manage with a smaller table for the cost savings. I did buy a rivnut tool from Harbor Freight for $25 but I wanted one for a while and can use it on other things. This might also be a good size for GX470 doors.

I was surprised at the quality feel of the table when I got it. Stronger than I thought it would be. I figured I may need to weld stiffeners etc. 

The table is designed to be able to have molle bags strapped to it, and then fold down, but this would leave the straps on the table top. Not good. I flipped the table upside down so the flat surface was facing out and bags could be attached. I then cut and shaped a plywood table surface that will cover the straps and be the table top. 

I had to add 1/4" spacers on the hinge bolts so that the mounts landed exactly around the access panel. I also used an angle grinder to sand off approx 1/8" from the angle mounts.

I added a strip of aluminum with rivnuts to screw the mounts through the plastic into. This will disburse the weight. Obviously the table is pulling on the plastic (I don't plan on heavy loads) and the strips will help. 

The GX460 has a center "pocket" built into the back and it does have a bolt directly into the doorskin. I did add a larger washer. The last modification I added was taking out a push pin that goes into the door skin in the left side of the pocket. I drilled that hole out, adding a rivnut, and bolted direct to the doorskin with a large washer. So essentially the rear door panel is bolted in two places, within 2 inches of the table mounts which have the backing strips. I'm confident this will be strong enough. 


I'll add a little bungee cordage to tie it up securely as the provided clips aren't great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less weight - Remove 3rd row seats and DIY Cargo floor for GX460 or 4Runner.

New (old) shoes = Sequoia 17 wheels and "Pizza Cutter" tires!