Less weight - Remove 3rd row seats and DIY Cargo floor for GX460 or 4Runner.

I revised the rear setup to give me more options and storage here:


I won't be using the 3rd row electric seats so I pulled them right away. 127lbs of associated seats and brackets gone! Heavier than I thought! 

I also removed the large class IV hitch which was another 85lb or so. With 200lb less weight in the rear and 6 inches lower trunk floor I have something a little more useable and versatile. 


In order to finish it all off I built a cargo floor with locking tie down points. I used much of what I had available and only bought what was necessary. 

The silver you see is two layers of my favorite -budget- sound deadener which is "PEEL N SEAL" window seal. Look it up. It's only $20 for a roll of foil backed butyl. It deadens the resonance of the steel panels. Same as Dynamat. I used two layers as I heard some more road noise without all the seats and carpet. I also added it to the wheel wells under the plastics.

The most expensive item was the plywood (inflation) and I bought a nicer faced 4'x4' piece at $40.  I should have looked for a different full sheet option. There was no need for clean faces as it was covered. I was initially going to use bedliner.

DIY cargo floor total = $75 
3/4" plywood (possible to use 1/2" I'd think) BMW X3 cargo tracks from Junkyard Auto Trunk Liner and Spray adhesive. Various bolts washers and nuts, steel flat bar I used 2x2 to space up the floor to the bottom of the trunk plastics. I bolted in the front most spacer using brackets but that was overkill. 


I came across the BMW X3 in a junkyard and immediately saw the usefulness of the cargo tracks. My wife has the same ones in her 3 series GT. These alloy tracks have removeable adjustable locking tiedowns. What a great addition to the rear cargo area for $7!

 I was unable to find a good tan color carpet for the rear so grey had to do. I used some fabric dye spray I had on hand to darken the factory carpet shelves to try and bring it closer to the gray.

The last detail was to use the small shelf left from the rear seats for a Fire extinguisher holder. I may find a cupholder rim insert to add in the future but so far so good. 




Lightweight, much more versatile rear cargo space. How useable? 
I transported 8 wheels with 32" tires mounted! 




Comments

  1. Can you please share more details about the metal brackets that secure to the floor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The metal brackets are literally some aluminum flat bar I had laying around, drilled for bolts, and bent at more than 45 degree angle to allow me to bolt them to the seatbelt mounts, and then screw them into the side of the 2x2 spacer directly in front of them (really its overkill but keeps away any chance of vibration)

      Delete
  2. Two questions, how did you close the gaps in the plastic on each side under the shelves, and did you/are you selling your hitch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already sold the hitch, and under the two factory side shelves I used some 1/4" plywood and made some panels to fit. They are also covered in carpet of course. I drilled in small screws from the top plastic down into them. The factory drown carpet is on detachable plastic and can hide the screws. I can take the factory side shelves in and out.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New (old) shoes = Sequoia 17 wheels and "Pizza Cutter" tires!

Cheap Overland Table - DIY - $35 Jeep shelf - fits GX460 or GX470 with small mods!