Modular rear storage: Drawer/floor/3rd row seat... budget bolt in

As seen in a previous post I've removed the 3rd row seating and installed a flat tray for hauling materials and a more functional rear space, along with removing 200+ lb from the rear for daily use.

But I want versatility... 

I've been planning on making a low set-in tray for the rear with drawers so that I can store some basic items like tow straps, gear, and tools out of the way, as well as transport smaller flatter items out of sight. It'll be a lighter drop in that can be easily lifted out.

Unfinished mock-up






I'd still want to be able to load larger items in the flat space, and not just rely on the retractable cover (which you have to find space for with an unexpected load). 

For a family of 4 this has been great.

THEN, we decided to go to the beach... with some family. 6 of us. 
Uh oh. I removed the rear seats so now we're looking at two vehicles just to go? 
I now realized I can improve on this idea. I removed the rear deck, grabbed passenger 3rd row seat and installed it back in its spot (easy, a few bolts swapped). 
I then cut some plywood for a 50% flat storage on the driver side.

I now have a better plan, for maximum versatility:


Prototype split system

Will this give me every option? Or just do it everything poorly? Time will tell:

1. I can mount my low flat floor in two parts, 50/50 split. Each side has 4 mounting holes so no changes needed. 

1/2" ply in two sections with some bracing underneath.






2. This allows One or Both rear 3rd rows to bolt in and out relatively quickly. (not with extra side mounding etc.) with a flat floor on one side and a seat on the other.

3. I'll modify my current carpeted one piece floor as the top of the drop in raised floor. I can then add drawers underneath, or use soft bag storage slid underneath and hidden. 

4. Since I have the materials already, I'll also build a 50% drawer to use when the seat is in. I'm not sure I'm committed to the complexity of making my drop in drawers permanently split 50/50.

5. This new setup will also allow a gap for the tailgate table and its attachments, as well as the factory cargo net so that I can pop the rear glass and set small purchases into the cargo net.

6. I'll be adding a "spider net" between the BMW tie down tracks I added previously so those odd shaped items like Propane or Welding tanks, or groceries you don't want to slide around.

Progress showing the bracing under the top panels:

Braces bolted to the floors then the panels bolted to them.

Middle supports and lower panel will glue to the bottom of the full panels.

Finished rear floor

As close a fit as I can get

I'll work on the raised floor storage once the polyurethane is completely cured.
In a pinch I can actually uninstall and strap the false floor setup to the heavy duty roof rack bars I made. 
Hidden storage close to stock rear deck height

"Beach Cruiser", 6 people, food, drinks, chairs tents... no problem






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less weight - Remove 3rd row seats and DIY Cargo floor for GX460 or 4Runner.

New (old) shoes = Sequoia 17 wheels and "Pizza Cutter" tires!

Cheap Overland Table - DIY - $35 Jeep shelf - fits GX460 or GX470 with small mods!