Swap exhaust for proper V8 grumble - Magnaflow muffler welded in.



The GX460 has a 4.6L V8 but you'd never know it in stock form. Is it a Hellcat screamer or Coyote growler? Not really. But I do think it should at least SOUND like a V8. 

There's just something about a good V8 sound, not a straight piped obnoxious one, but a well tuned, healthy V8 sound...

The GX is whisper quiet in stock form. While I certainly can appreciate the engineer's emphasis on luxury, I'm only here because: "capable offroader with V8" and any luxury is a bonus. I didn't buy this for posh walnut trim and heated and cooled seats... but I ain't complaining!

I purchased a Magnaflow #11226 muffler. I could have gotten a slightly longer body version but I'd read several reviews so was confident it'd be ok. Worst case scenario I either weld in the stocker, take it to a pro to redo, or buy an off the shelf bolt on catback system.

UPDATE: I recommend a longer muffler body. I should have gone with my gut and gotten a 18" or longer body. Maybe #12256 or 13256. The Magnaflow has a thinner profile bod so you're already losing some of the sound attenuation ability. (Longer might negate the need for a resonator)

The plan was simple:
1. Unbolt OE exhaust. 
2. Cut out OE muffler.
3. Weld in new muffler. 
4. Install and enjoy.

The reality was, as I expected, slightly different:
1. Unbolt OE echaust.
2. Struggle with rear bolts till I give up and sawzall the tube.
3. Struggle and fail to remove rear section even after jacking up truck.
4. Figure out best way to connect 2.5" muffler pipe to 60mm stock pipe.
5. Measure and plan the angle of attachment of flanges. (hint, the 2.5" pipe will fit over the stocker, but carefully measure and angle pipes)
6. Make sure angle grinder breaks before finishing cleaning up the pipe ends.
7. Make sure sawzall breaks before cutting all connectors from 2.5" pipe.
8. Create multiple booger welds to connect tubes.
9. Flash eyes multiple times due to Harbor freight automatic mask issues, and once by starting weld before dropping mask... did I mention I'm basically a pro?
10. Blow hole in pipe when welding like a moron.
11. Fix holes in pipe with more booger welds.
12. "Eyeball" the measurements and tack weld. 
13. Crawl under for fitting and discover eyeball is "way off".
14. Cut all tack welds off with dremel and bastard file since real tools are in trashcan. 
15. Go under truck another 5 times to measure and mark. 
16. Weld up correct pipe placements. 
17. Cut off exhaust hanger from stocker and weld onto rod for new hanger. 
18. Fit hanger for no pipe rubbing.
19. Realize tailpipe is now angled down and needs to be cut and re-welded.... tomorrow...
20. Enjoy V8 rumble on way to watch UFC fights....


So far so good. 
You'll be able to hear clips of sound from many other places, my mic wouldn't pick up true sound anyhow. 
It has a rumble at startup and around town in the lower rev ranges. When the engine is under load it has a nice rumble, not too loud but you do notice it. When off throttle or cruising in town or on freeway its quiet. When hammering it in low rpm it growls, but going above 3k rpm it seems to quiet down and doesn't seem a lot louder than stock. 

Overall, not many will want to take the effort to weld in their own muffler. Take it to a shop and pay them $100. I wanted to try it for the first time so: mission accomplished. It aint easy and i'd approach it differently next time. 1. get the truck on jackstands, 2. Measure, then test fit, then tack weld, then test fit, then full weld, then test fit, then position the tailpipe and hangers before finish welding.

My tailpipe ended up angled downwards so I'll have to cut and reweld/adjust the rear tailpipe. Debating getting rid of the rear resonator...
UPDATE: Instead of repositioning the rear resonator I just eliminated it and added a straight pipe as some do for more clearance on trails.
Not recommended. 
Welcome to the DRONE! It's louder and has a pronounced bass resonance at 1.5k to 2k rpm. I don't necessarily mind the louder but the peak of resonance is not good as most around town driving keeps the rpms right there.
I'll fix it later, may add the resonator in the rear again, or get a smaller resonator, or try it in front of the muffler. 
I'm used to it now, but sometimes it becomes annoying and makes me think about adding back the resonator.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less weight - Remove 3rd row seats and DIY Cargo floor for GX460 or 4Runner.

New (old) shoes = Sequoia 17 wheels and "Pizza Cutter" tires!

Cheap Overland Table - DIY - $35 Jeep shelf - fits GX460 or GX470 with small mods!