Roof Rack Crossbars for the GX460: Heavy Duty, Low Profile, DIY, budget friendly



 

I need to occasionally haul things back from the HD store for projects and a nice solid roof rack would be a great addition that would allow me to haul long items and 4x8 sheets with ease. Granted it'll be relatively light weight use but attaching some roof boxes, accessories and an awning will also be easy in the future.

There are companies selling heavy duty crossbars but they blow what I'm willing to spend for something so basic. I may eat my words later... or just remove them and go on with life...

First iteration: Superstrut

The factory rails, while much maligned for being low profile, only need a J hook clamp and a top flat surface. So the design is relatively straightforward.

While I should have built with straight cuts as proof of concept I went ahead and complicated things by doing 45 degree ends and filler plates right off the bat. I want a nicer, streamlined look (if that's even possible)



More progress:


The superstrut has J shaped bottom section and 2" pieces of this made the perfect J clamp that is basically what the factory has on their crossbars. I welded a nut and ready to go. I used the same size as the factory crossbars, and with 4 bars locked on, it'll have more clamping contact than stock. I have toyed with the idea of getting larger bolts and nuts and making a much beefier clamp but I'm not looking to haul any heavy loads or a RTT.











I sprayed them with bedliner but it does take some prep to get it to stick. I may have to redo them shortly. Sand and repaint.





I recently hauled 18 4'x8' sheets of wood lattice home, strapped on, easy as can be. I wouldn't hesitate to haul a few sheets of plywood or pile of 2x4 etc home. Just be smart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less weight - Remove 3rd row seats and DIY Cargo floor for GX460 or 4Runner.

New (old) shoes = Sequoia 17 wheels and "Pizza Cutter" tires!

Cheap Overland Table - DIY - $35 Jeep shelf - fits GX460 or GX470 with small mods!