Bilstein 5100 Shocks: fits GX or 4Runner - get a lift and better offroad handling


 The options to change the suspension on the GX460 are varied and slowly growing. I won't bother with all the other versions and details about them. 

I merely chose what I did based on:

1. How I ACTUALLY use my vehicles (not how I dream it could be after watching some cinematic video):  

Mostly onroad commuting, with short stints offroad to go shooting or a day trip up some mountain fire roads. A rare, longer trip for camping once I have the vehicle ready. No rock crawling, no desert pre-running, no sand dune jumps, no week long overlanding far from civilization.

2. My budget. 

    Yes, I prefer not to spend money and to "be frugal" (not cheap, there's a difference!... I think) I also am reluctant to sink a lot of money into something like a vehicle. I have a limit to what I will spend as I have much more important personal goals and focus (hence all the diy).

Well ok, it was a simple choice for me. 

Other than keeping the stock shocks, which I was close to doing (I have a 1.5" spacer kit in a box) I didn't really like the marshmallow feel of the stock shocks, even on "sport". 
I am sort of picky when it comes to suspension so I just couldn't bring myself to keep them. 

When removed, it was clear they were worn out.  

I chose the Bilstein 5100 shocks front and rear, installed the front at the third setting from the bottom (supposedly 1.7" lift) and added 5 washers to the rear ride height sensors and kept the airbags in. 
If they fail I can spend the money to swap, until then, the on road feel is better, and the ride height is just a bit higher without needed new Upper Control Arms. 

The springs feel fine, and the shocks are nicely composed, while KDSS does a good job of aiding cornering and offroad articulation.

5100 shock lift 1.75" front, tricked rear bags
on stock wheels


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less weight - Remove 3rd row seats and DIY Cargo floor for GX460 or 4Runner.

New (old) shoes = Sequoia 17 wheels and "Pizza Cutter" tires!

Cheap Overland Table - DIY - $35 Jeep shelf - fits GX460 or GX470 with small mods!