Disable the TPMS dash light on GX460 , on command.


TPMS is basically a good thing, but it can be a bit of a pain for those who like to modify our vehicles. Several scenarios cause annoyance: leaving the TPMS sensors in the OEM wheels when changing to aftermarket, buying a second set of wheels for various uses. or finally, airing down offroad.

Yes, you can buy more sensors, but that increases the budget. I figured I'd just try out a $3 solution; I can always spend money if I'm not happy. 

Tools: Screwdriver, wire cut/crimper, 2 ft small gauge wire, electrical tape or heat shrink. Optional: soldering kit.

I did not invent nor figure this out but wanted to document it for any new owner looking for ideas.

I followed the directions online, easy to find. Mine refers only to the 2010 - 2013 GX460, so you'll need to do some research if yours is a different year, but the concept is still the same. 


The TPMS module is behind the rear driver side interior panel, directly above the cargo net connector. 

You remove the connector and the phillips screw behind it and carefully pop out the rear of the panel by pulling straight out from the sheet metal. I used a plastic panel pry tool ($5 set on ebay).

The red TPMS brain is bolted directly to the sheet metal. Remove it and remove the wiring loom from the small clip. 

These wires are small 20 ga, about paperclip size.  I had wire and a small switch in my 'lectricals box.




The factory '10-'13 harness has a red and a yellow wire, pin 5 and 6. The basics of the job is: bridge the two together.  This gives the tpms a constant signal it needs to keep from triggering a dummy light. 

You can do this permanently with a wire, with solder, or with a 3M wire tap.  


I did not want to do it permanently so I crimped a 12" wire onto each of the two colors and ran that into a simple rocker switch. Connect it any way you like (I did mine more complicated and beefy than needed). 

You can solder them, crimp the wires, or strip back the insulation, wrap the wire around the factory uncut wire and electrical tape it. 

The switch simply hangs down into the opening of the jack access panel. I switch it on and the TPMS is a closed loop and thinks its fine (for offroad tires, or air-down trips). Then, when I want it to actively monitor, I flip the switch and it's back on.


Simple and effective. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less weight - Remove 3rd row seats and DIY Cargo floor for GX460 or 4Runner.

New (old) shoes = Sequoia 17 wheels and "Pizza Cutter" tires!

Cheap Overland Table - DIY - $35 Jeep shelf - fits GX460 or GX470 with small mods!